As I begin, it is 1:28 am Melbourne time, on the 29th of July 2006. You know, my laptop clock is still set to Malaysian time, so I almost typed out 11:28 pm instead. Why do I have it on Malaysian time? Well, it helps to keep track of the time back home so that I know when to call my parents. Also, it serves as a kind of anchor to home. It's like a tiny reminder (which I hope I don't really need) of where my true home is. Also, I was too lazy to switch between times whenever I go on holiday.
So. Back to the point.
It is already the second semester of 2006. Ah.. how quickly 6 months (closer to 7 now) have passed. It seems like an age has come and gone since I was sweltering in Greycourt during the summer. The Halcyon Days of the Greycourt Summer Scheme Bowlers. How I miss those days.
And so it seems even longer since.. Since my old life, I could say. Every year, every day, every moment, it's as if I'm reborn anew. Almost exactly the same as before, but slowly the changes add up.
Last Friday, at almost exactly this moment, was the first time I ever got drunk. I think. I know tequila, gin and a certain Mr. Jim Beam were involved. It's not a particularly good memory to have. But it's now an integral part of me. What brought on that absurd drinking binge? If only I could say for sure. Before this, whenever I drank I'd stay well below my (estimated) limit 'cos I know I don't want to go around drunkenly spilling my guts to everyone, or acting more stupidly than how I usually do. Well, at least now I know for sure where my limit is. I think it was Kwang who once speculated that I would be more quiet when I'm drunk, since I'm so loud and idiotic when I'm sober. Well to be fair, I'm only loud and idiotic to people I know reasonably well. And yes, I think it would be possible to crank up the volume and idiocy more; and no, that would definitely not be a good thing. Well, I think the world was spared from Loud Drunken Aaron last week, cos I remember myself rambling on and on (relavely quietly) to some poor soul who didn't run away fast enough about me feeling uncomfortable when 2 friends of mine broke up.
Ok, that was total male-bovine-animal-species excrement. I know I had some other topic in mind before I derailed into talking so much about me getting drunk for the first time.
So, what do I have to say? Well, what do you, dear unknown person peering into the dark conofused shallows of my psyche, want to know?
Cue review of the last few months or so:
My second to last post mentioned Cafe Deco. Goodness that was long ago. Cafe went splendid. The decorations were fine. Eugene and the rest of the team did an awesome job with everything. Me? I'm just happy my small part in it went well. The night itself was also pretty fun. After the dinner and all the acts, the sound techs turned on some funky 70s music (Did I mention the theme was "The 70s Show"? I still like my suggestion for a name better. "Go with the 'Fro". Oh well.) and some of the guests, who were, as we say, further along the higway of life, started dancing and shaking their fine boo-tays. It was understandably awesome awesome hilarious awesomeness. There was this old guy with aviator glasses, a cowboy hat and flares jiggling to the tune of "YMCA". Even Dr Jane Munro, our Head of College, busted out some wicked moves on the dance floor. And after that, Lee Kim Hon, table deco mastermind and obsessive compulsive slave driving genius (Love ya, Kim!), downed a whole cup of straight vodka. There's so many other stories and memories I could share about Cafe '06, but nothing could ever do justice to being there on that night, in that place, at that time, with those people, seeing all the decorations up sparkling beautifully, watching and hearing the acts recieve their due applause, living. My only regret is that I didn't keep the cardboard Hendrix Fender earlier. To whichever dirty bastard who stole my hard work of gloss-black spray painting, I curse you with the worst of all curses imaginable: May you become that which you hate the most.

Cafe 2006 random stuff.
OK, what next? Yeah, exams went fine. Watched the World Cup while studying for exams. I even watched Australia score 3 goals in 8 minutes to come back from a 1 goal deficit, the night before my Eng Anal A exam. And I didn't sleep the whole day before my Management exam. I blame the coffee. My heart was beating so fast, and going crazy, I just lay awake in my bed trying to sleep the whole night and morning, then I just got up and walked to the exam hall. Ah, University life.
On the last day of exams for Melbourne Uni, me and 3 other guys (Kai, Dan and Allen) undertook a perilous journey in search of our sacred haven...of Krispy Kremes. Yup. Krispy Kreme finally opened a branch in Victoria, and it was all the way out in Fountain Gate, Narre Warren. We spent 12 dollars on a All Zones daily train ticket that day, taking a 45 minute train ride to the shop, standing almost 2 hours in line, and then savouring our sweet scrumptious doughnuts. Haha. I can't honestly say it was worth it just for the doughnuts. But it wasn't definitely worth it for the experience, and for the sheer hell of it, getting Krispy Kremes the day after the shop opens in Melbourne. Now, I think KK has lost it's "special-ness", since it's so easy to get them. Well, I'll always remember that day fondly, as the last day that Krispy Kremes still held that special place in my stomach.

The Krispy Kremes Gang with our spiffy hats taking a camera hostage at Fountain Gate. L-R: Kai, Allen, Daniel, Fat Aaron
After the great Krispy Kremes adventure was a combined random post-exam revel dinner + goodbye dinner for good ol' pommie, James Martin. In a way, for me it was also farewell to all the other exchange students of last year. Since, James is the only one still in IH, he had to stand in for everyone else. Actually, just David Cai (whom I carried back to his room, twice) and Malcom (the coolest Motaniqai I've ever met), since I didn't really know the other exchange students well. It was hilarious fitting all 30 odd of us into that Korean BBQ place. Then it was off to Robot (the Japanese bar James couldn't find even when the signboard was right in front of him, heh) for some drinks and embarassing questions for Martin. Well, I already said goodbye then, so no point adding anything here. And if you somehow see this, James, remember to drop me a line once in a while, and please send me a copy of your Antarctic expedition report thing.

L-R:Malcom, Prateek, and some sucker, at Crown Buffet, Summer 2006.

L-R:David Cai, James Martin, and some random dude, at Valedictory Dinner 2005
So that's pretty much it for happenings last semester.
Then came the mid-year break, where I went home to my new house and new room and met some old friends with new tricks. I think that's enough for now, I'll write up the rest another day. Give me some time, m'kay? I'm trying to settle a backlog of random happenings here, and I'm pretty sure I've missed out on a lot.
BOOZE CRUISE TOMORROW NIGHT! Where I get drunkenly depressed over a member of the opposite sex and proceed to get thrown overboard for disorderly puking on board. Oh, and dress up as a Proctologist, Dr. A.S. Shole, MD.
Fun times.
Well, good night, take care and most importantly..
Have Fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment