Friday, March 06, 2009

no promises, but yeah i'm not dead

Whoo boy. 6 months already?

Anyhoo. Watched Watchmen last night. *SPOILERS AHOY* Was weird that the pictures say Minutemen but their mouths say Watchmen. A novel take on trying to both please the fans and appeal to non-fans. Also, amount of unnecessary fighting, violence, and slow-mo action shots: Too damn much. Also also: GIANT BLUE DONG GIANTBLUE DONG GIANTBLUEDONG GIANT BLUEDONG. Yes yes I am 12 years old.



Verdict: Eh. Wasn't severely disappointed, it had its moments of brilliance Rorshach's ending was the best bit, and Dan Dreiberg was adorable. I just wanted to pat him on the head and tell him "There there you'll get laid in the end". Ooh also changing random lesbian kiss into an affectionate nod to one of the most well known photos of that era was class. Oh and Fake!Nixon's nose looked utterly ridiculous. Like a penis on his face. Yes yes I realise I'm obsessed with penii. It's cos I see mine so often.

“The Kiss at Times Square” By Alfred Eisenstaedt

However, overall the movie didn't impress me as a movie. As a shot by shot copy of the book at certain parts, it was cute. But get this: It's already in the book. If I wanted to see that scene, I can open up the page and see it again. Same angle, same composition. Moore and Gibbons already did all the hard work imagining how to present it and put it on the page. Copying it exactly and putting it on celluloid is not "visionary directing". More like cross-platform plagiarism. No new creative input at all. Do some of your own directing for once Mr. Snyder! That just bugged me. Film, as a medium is so different from print. Why waste all that effort trying to copy the printed form when you could be imagining it in new and exciting ways (while staying true to the original vision of course). I just don't get it.

Oh and the giant blue dongs were really distracting >.>

P.S. - If you haven't read the book GO NOW! LEAVE THE COMPUTER< GET TO A BOOKSTORE< PURCHASE IT, AND READ IT! AND SCOTT PILGRIM TOO!

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

First of all, you got my hopes up..
Malaysia pixellates giant blue dongs (Boo..)

Secondly, there's no pleasing some people!

I reckon if he didn't follow it exactly (which is what i want in an adaptation of a graphic novel!), you'd complain. Now that he has, you complain he hasn't put in his own spin. But he changed the ending! Isn't that creative input enough? There is no ugly giant squid! Not to mention the piratey bits were gone, and only small references to Under the Hood and Hollis... So i think he trimmed it nicely to suit the big screen.

Plus, i think the characterisation was awesome!

Alright, bone picked. I love you! <3