Tuesday, July 22, 2008

94 Posts, last published on Jan 29, 2008

Disclaimer: This is a rare update to this dead blog, and should not be construed as a sign of continuing activity on this blog or its owner. Look forward to blogging again in 2009!

Hehehehe.

I don't know why, but I look at the line "94 Posts, last published on Jan 29, 2008 " and I can't help giggling like a little school girl who just found out that farts are indeed the funniest thing in the world (My little cousins reminded me of that fact in a not so recent conversation. There was even a song. Ah.. Elysia and Jacqueline, please never grow old and jaded and not be able to appreciate toilet humour anymore.).

Farts.

Hehehehehehe.

By the by, I find using lots of ellipses....like this...all the time...as if normal punctuation isn't good enough...or...maybe...people just looking at periods...ewewewewew...bad...mental...image..kind of...annoying...

My brother was here last week on holiday. It was a lot of fun. Letting him see a part of my life, here in Melbourne, I don't usually get to share with him was kinda exciting. It's cool that I can show him all the fun stuff to do once you start Uni and move out of home, and also impart some brotherly advice (HAH!) before he leaves to Manchester in September. It's also nice to spend some time with him since I probably won't get to see him for a long time. It's not something I usually say, but I am immensely proud of my brother and I sometimes don't feel deserving of the amount of faith he puts in me. I mean, I was just born 3 years early! That doesn't mean I really know shit all about anything! Heh, well I know he'll probably still do really well in the UK, even though my advice is bunk. And I think, maybe I've turned him onto board games a little... (<--- See there? That is proper usage of an ellipsis. I think.)

ANYWAYS!

The holidays have also been a time for lots of board games, The Dark Knight, Civilization Revolution on the DS and a torn knee ligament! Fun times.

I bought 2 new board games to add to my growing pile: Power Grid and Shadows Over Camelot. Best purchases of the year. Power Grid is pretty similar to Princes of Florence in that it emphasizes proper resource planning and an auction system for obtaining assets. However, it also utilizes a shared map (Double sided with one of the USA and one of Germany. Value for money, folks!) to expand your network of powered cities so it is also pretty similar to other territory control games. There aren't many alternate routes to victory ala Puerto Rico, so all players will be in conflict from the start to end to compete for resources, power plants and the best spots on the map. It's very deep and engaging and rewards very careful management. We've had to break out calculators, paper and pens on multiple occasions for the players to plan out their spending, hehe. So yeah, Power Grid = Awesome.

Also new to the collection is Shadows over Camelot. It's a cooperative game where the players take on the roles of Knights of the Round Table, out to defend Camelot from being besieged by evil. However, not all the Knights are what they seem, as a traitor may exist within the walls of Camelot... (<-- Again, this is how it's done folks.) It's a fun little game that is to be enjoyed more for the social interaction than strategic gameplay, although tactical decisions can still be found. I just played another 3 rounds last night with the boys from 801 Verve and Hao Ern. It was loud and fun and we played till 3 am in the morning. The best part is how Ian, though never once the traitor, managed to cause the deaths of at least 2 other Knights in each game he played. I don't want to be around when he actually is the traitor. The body count might be horrendous...

No time to talk about The Dark Knight (amazing movie) or Civ Revolution (bloody addictive) at length now as I have to go prepare din dins. Oh yeah, by the way, I tore a ligament in right my knee while skiing. Suspected ACL, MRI scan on Saturday. I didn't mention it here before (HAH!) but I also twisted my right ankle and scraped my right knee during the Easter holidays. So looking at my record, I should injure the right half of my groin in the next holidays then. Anyone want to help me with that?

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Oooo...
Groin injury! I'm in!
i didn't even know you updated(extremely rare occurrence)!

You managed to wax lyrical on board games. (-_-")

Farts.