Wednesday, July 27, 2005

storm in the teacups

Ah.. I just came back from a nice trip out to Lygon Street with some IHers for gelato and hot chocolate. Now I wish I had chosen the hot chocolate over gelato.. Having a bit if a cough. It was good though. I regret not getting to stay at Koko Black though, as it was fully packed, with people and all sorts of chocolates and chocolate products. Damn.. sooo many chocolates. My mouth is watering just thinking of it. I MUST go back there again! With my camera!

Classes have started already. I'm finding my subjects quite interesting. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I share most of the same classes with Chee Chang, who has been here in Melbourne since Semester 1. It's nice to see a familiar face in class, as well as making new friends. Measurements lecture today was fun, mostly because of the funny story the lecturer told us. The story is also very relevant to the topic, so it was good, not just pointless crap. I think I'll be able to cope okay for now, especially since the early topics of Maths A seem to cover the same ground as Further Maths did in A-levels. Hope I can keep up with all the reading and work and still get to be involved in all the fun activities in IH and Uni.

Oh yeah, there was also a live band during lunch, along with free food and beer. Yep, you read that right. Apparently this happens very often. Every week, I think. However, I didn't get to enjoy it much because I was busy slacking off reading comics in the Rowden White Library, which is this really cool library with lots of magazines, comics, manga, books, videos, DVDs, CDs, games, computer access, and sleeping area. There are signs in there which say "Please Do Not Study". Yep, I love this university.

However, life isn't all fun and games. Today I just found out that one of my friends suffered a tragic loss yesterday. Her brother passed away. I just didn't know how to react to it... I didn't know her brother. I don't even dare claim to be a close friend to her, but still the news was a shock to me. I don't know why. I just feel.. Losing a close family member is just so.. painful. Especially if it's a close sibling. My heart goes out to you, Hui Juan. I sincerely suck at dealing with people, as you clearly know now, after my mumbling gibberish over the phone. I don't know how I can express my sympathy or empathy or whatever the hell it is.. I will not say "Don't cry", because I believe it is good and important to let the grief out. And I'm sure you can deal with it in your own way, learning the strength in the face of difficult circumstances. God bless you, your brother, and the rest of your family and friends.

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

No comments: